In general, the preparatory section of the EMS Education Standards is intended to set the stage for the rest of the course. It provides foundational knowledge and concepts that are important for understanding and applying the more advanced material that comes later.
- EMS Systems: This topic introduces the learners to the overall structure and function of EMS systems at the local, state, and national levels. It may also discuss the roles and responsibilities of the different types of EMS providers.
- Workforce Safety and Wellness: This topic covers important safety and health considerations for EMS providers, including personal protective equipment, stress management, and injury prevention.
- Medical, Legal, and Ethical Issues: This topic provides an introduction to the legal and ethical obligations of EMS providers, including patient confidentiality, consent, and refusal of care.
- Communications: This topic covers both verbal and written communication strategies for interacting with patients, family members, other healthcare providers, and dispatchers.
- Documentation: This topic discusses the importance of accurate and thorough patient care documentation.
Medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and lifespan development are often included in preparatory sections of EMS textbooks. This book will incorporate these topics in each chapter.